Development of 1 Milton Road
The Cambridge City Planning Committee met in early August and approved the application for the development of
1 Milton Road. The proposal is significantly modified from the application rejected in
December 2013: see summary below.
Outline of the new scheme
The development will be Anglia Ruskin Uuniversity student accommodation plus a single commercial unit facing onto
Milton Road (likely to be Sainsburys). The main features are as follows:
- number of students reduced by about 20% to 211
- design of blocks adjacent to Portland Arms changed to tie in better; set 3m further back and
parallel with road
- height of most buildings reduced
- buildings within the site include visual breaks
- larger courtyard and wider pedestrian access
- more bicycle racks
- as before, no customer parking in front of the supermarket on Milton Road
The previous application was rejected by the Planning Committee in December 2013, for the
following main reasons:
- The buildings were too bulky and dominating, were not appropriate for the area, and
would have an unacceptable impact on the Portland Arms and the Conservation Area.
- The buildings visible from residents of Corona Road were too high and would be oppressive.
- The nature of the main pedestrian access to the site did not allow adequate surveillance.
- Insufficient bicycle parking was provided on site.